Thursday, February 1, 2007

But I am le tired

It is only my 4th day on the job and I am exhausted! I am still sick and I am expending a lot more energy than I thought. The kids don't have school on Wednesdays so we (the grandparents and I) took them to the science museum in the afternoon. It seemed like it would have been a really interesting exposition on space if only I could have understood what was being said. We got home and had crepes for dinner with a variety of toppings (creme fresh, jam and nutella) for the second night in a row and soup. Tonight we ate waffles. I asked Chloe if this was normal and she said yes. Seriously, what a great country.

I had a good and bad day today. First the bad: I had my first day of French today and had to deal with the school bureaucracy. Apparently I need a paper saying that I need 10hours of French per week to qualify for my temporary visa. The paper the school gave me previously said that I only have 6hours. They were supposed to put 6hours of class and 4 of homework. Because they didn't do this (and after arguing with them for about 40minutes), I had to cough up another 100 euros and register for the 10hour class. This means that I will have 10 hours of class plus homework. That doesn't sound too bad initially, but I am extremely pissed as this. There is a huge difference between 6 and 10 hours and the normal hours for au pair is the 6 hour class. The good thing is that I will have more practice than the other au pairs, the bad is that it is coming after the term is already 3 weeks in.

The good: I asked some people where the post office was in French and understood enough of the answer to actually find it all on my lonesome. I also managed to maneuver my way to my school and back home using two different metro lines. Did I mention that my language school is about 5 blocks from the Arc d' Triumph?

Well, tomorrow I don't have class, but I do have to deal with more bureaucracy when applying for my temporary visa. Arrg, I don't want to think about it...

3 comments:

Adam said...

so, you are in that french town in france? my eyes, clear as ever, are on my ticket to new zealand - endless summers filled with biologist!
au revoir(that is how they say goodbye where you are...)!

Renee said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGhzSzT1phc&mode=related&search=

I found a video for you, Maude

Laurendactil said...

Renee, you are great! Ah, the hippo of enlightenment. Really, what is better than a rainy day?