Monday, February 5, 2007

La Petit Explorer




Ok, a lot has happened since I last wrote in this here blog. I continue to swing from good feelings to bad to good to bad, etc.. I have only a bit of time to write as I have some homework to do before bed and before my brain starts to seize up entirely. I will write a bit about my exploration adventures, my visa and school bureaucracy and learning adventures, the kids, and bitching about being sick.

And, if you don't want to read this long story, here is a link to some pictures:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/lauren.gross/album/576460762388442820

First, my exploration adventures:
Some time last week, after dropping the kids off at school, I didn't have class so I decided to just walk around. You really can't get too lost in Paris. Even without a map, all you have to do is find a metro station and you can find your way from there. So from their school, I took a bridge across La Seine and just walked through the little alleys. I turn a corner and voila! Notre-Dame. It was great being there at 9am because no one else was around and they were having a church service. Listening to the chanting and singing in that great big church was absolutely amazing! I didn't stay long, but really enjoyed myself.
Last Saturday I was still a bit sick, but it was such a nice day that I had to get out in the sunshine and fresh air. I went up to Sacre-Coeur, which is another famous church on to of the highest hill (?) in Paris. It was beautiful and you have a view of the whole city from there. That minor excursion took so much energy, I went home and slept until pretty much the next morning. (sorry, not to the bitching part yet).
Sunday, Anne-Marie, Pablo and I went to the local open air market to get groceries for the week. There are markets like this all over Paris, all selling cheese and meat and bread and fruit, and vegetables and fish and ahhh...

On to the Visa and School:
Briefly on the visa: went to get my card. Did all the paper work, talked to the people, got everything in order, waited in line...then they tell me, "well, we have to wait 6 weeks to "make a decision about your visa" then at the end of the 6 weeks you have to take a medical examination. What?! Fine, I know, it's not the worst thing, but hey, it's a pain in the ass and I can bitch about it because it's my blog.
Briefly on the School: I have to say it is a really strange experience sitting in class not knowing what the hell is going on. Yeah, I can pick up on some things and try to answer the way the teacher wants me to when it's my turn to answer, but I usually pronounce it wrong or have no idea what the exercise is about. It sounds funny now, but it really sucks and it's frustrating. Yes, it was only my second day of class, but patience was never a virtue of mine when it comes to things like this. And with the kids and class it's a bit difficult to find time for homework. Ok, in addition to walking more, and saying what's in my head (eloquently if possible), my other new year's resolution is to plan and prioritize my time.

Ah, the kids:
I don't think I have enough time now to give this topic justice (really not the other topics either). The kids are both great and aggravating. Which, I have to say, I prefer. At least they are being themselves. There is a lot going on in this family now with the whole family moving back to Paris and with the parents splitting up and of course a new person taking care of them. It was my first time giving the two boys a bath the other night and I might as well have gotten in the shower with them because I was pretty wet by the end as well. And, tonight I was very proud of myself for getting them to eat all of their lettuce by pretending that they were sharks and the lettuce was little fish that they were gobbling up. Hey, if it works, I'm gonna ride it out as long as possible. The mom works pretty late some nights and I can tell the kids really don't like it. It's good for them to cry and let it out, but it's hard to see them sad. Anyway, that's the jist, I'll write more next time.

Last, being sick:
This probably won't be a very interesting bit, but it feels good to bitch into the internet void so here it goes...
I have been sick now for going on three weeks! First, it started as a cough then moved into my sinuses and last week/weekend I had a headache for 3 days!!!! It is amazing how much we take being healthy for granted! I have never ever experienced that! Holy shit it sucked. From Friday night until just this morning I had to turn my head very slowly for fear of what felt like a sharp whap to the back of the head feeling. I'm pretty sure it had to do with pressure from my sinuses, a bit of dehydration, and a bit of jet lag still. Thank the lord for making me put 3 little Advils in my toiletry bag before I left the states! Saturday I woke up around 9, had breakfast, went back to sleep, woke up around noon and went out to explore. I came home around 3:30 and slept pretty much until 8:30 the next morning. Luckily, Anne-Marie and the kids were at a birthday party all afternoon and evening, so I didn't feel bad about not being around. I do feel better today, but definitely not all better. Speaking of sleep it's now 10:30 and time to go to bed. I will do my homework before class tomorrow since I drop the kids off at 9 and my class is not until 11. Ah, this will be interesting...

Thanks for reading, Bon Nuit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep at it, Loza!
If there is anybody I know who can fly half way across the country (or world), then go to a party on no sleep or rest whatsoever while sick and jetlagged and then still function unfazed, it is you!
Things will only get easier.
Wew...you'll be "throwing rocks tonight" in no time at all.

Always abiding,
Duder