Monday, February 12, 2007

National Anthem

I wanted to describe the kids' personalities a bit.
First, Pablo, the 4-year old. It never fails that during dinner time, he has to use the toilet. The rest of us are peacefully eating when we hear strange sounds coming from upstairs. At first, it sounds a bit like crying, but when you listen closely, it is actually the Australian national anthem. Yes, Pablo sings the Australian national anthem when sitting on the pot. It is frickin hilarious. I keep telling his mom that we need to record it for when he's older. After he comes back to the table, we ask him to sing it for us, but he always refuses and says, "not until after dinnah" in a cute whiny Australian accent. The kid can be really entertaining, but then the next minute a kicking, screaming drama queen. He's pretty jolly most of the time though.

Elliot, the 7-year old is very sensitive. The slightest thing can set him in a crying, bad mood. The good thing about that though is that he gets over it quickly and can be the happiest, bubbliest kid in the world. It seems that every night (at least last week and this) he has a tempertantrum before dinner and then is fine the rest of the night. I really don't know what's going on with him. He is a pretty sweet kid overall though.

Chloe is a bit bossy. She can be very loving, but everything has to be a certain way. She makes sure her brothers and everyone else follow the rules, except doesn't quite hold the same standards to herself. She means well most of the time, but can be a bit moody.

I'm really curious to see how my relationships with all the kids develops. So far, I feel like I've integrated into the family pretty quickly. The kids all seem to be fine with me being here. I have to remind myself that I've only been here 2 and a half weeks.

So, just a bit about my school. I've once again changed classes. I swear, I've never had to deal with administrative ignorance like this before. I found out that there is another beginner class that I could have gone into that started last week. It's not for au pairs because it's everyday (the kids are off wendesdays), but it's so much better than my other class. This one seems to be following a logical grammatical path, where as the other one just bounced from topic to topic. It doesn't matter how much the teacher speaks to me in French, if I don't understand why things are the way they are, then I will never get it. Anyway, I'm going to try this class and hope that it works out better. I think it will...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hehe....that is some funny shit, no pun intended:) those cute little Aussie rascals do have the whiniest (or whingy as they say) accents, hey?
Say Loz, you ever read anything on the signficance of birth orders? The eldest are the 2nd parents or rule makers. The achievers. Bossy, serious, always get their way. Middle children are the rule breakers and often the creative ones. They tend to either stir up trouble or do things in totally unique ways to get noticed (B/c the eldest hog all of the attention). The youngest are of course the babies and use their sweetness and cuteness to get their needs met.
There has been quite a bit of research on these dynamics.
"it was parked in a handicap zone..."