Wednesday, March 28, 2007

That's Interesting Man...

Elliot's missing tooth


Sum up for this post: Getting my hair cut, running into an old professor at the Louvre the other day, and going to see Pink Martini last Sunday.

So, my adventure for the day: getting my hair cut (finally). I had some time this afternoon, so I went in to this little place close to my appartment; 18euros for a shampooing and cut (shampoo is also called shampooing). Obviously this activity normally wouldn't be a big deal, but it was a bit difficult when there is a language barrier. The hairdresser (who was very cute) was very nice when I tried to describe what I wanted in French. I felt like a cave woman who might just as well have grunted what she wanted. Les chauveux beacoup boucle and then resorted to oui and bien and ca va . Uhg, I really need to stop speaking English, so my French will improve.

Last Thursday I had a lot of energy in the afternoon, so I decided to take on the Louvre. I've been wanting to go since coming here, but just haven't made the effort. So, I got my ticket, got my little headset and set out. I felt obligated to see the Mona Lisa, then went to Venus de Milo. After that, I just bimbled about because my philosophy for museums such as these is that if you try to make too many plans, you end up trying to get somewhere the whole time and never really enjoy where you are. After bimbling through the French paintings and the Italian ones, I came to the Greek ones. I was standing in front of a large one and turned to see my old professor coming out of the adjoining room! I knew she was in France, but she lives about two hours away AND of all the days in all the rooms in the Louvre we met in the same spot. CRAZY! Such a small frickin world eh? She said she will be in France until June and I hope to visit sometime next month.

Ok, so the best part of my week last week was definitely going to see Pink Martini play with the Orchestra National Ile de France on Sunday. PM is a band from Portland who play a bit of classical/salsa/rock/... Their singer, China Forbes, has an amazing voice and sings in 10 or 11 different languages. Thomas Lauderdale is the pianist and band leader. They also have an amazing horn section. They played at the Salle Payel which actually is only a couple blocks from my language school and is where the symphony normally plays. I tried to get tickets last week, but the concert was sold out, so I decided to try to go right before the show. I showed up an hour before the concert and my patience paid off! I got a ticket which was normally 35euros for 10 and my seat was front and center 1st balcony. The concert was absolutely amazing! They played three encores and I was incredibly sad when it was over. I wanted them to keep going! They are such amazing musicians and with the symphony playing behind them, it is such a grand thing. Below is a link to their website and a picture at the concert. I also took a short video, but I'm not sure if I can post it. I will try. Their new album is coming out early May. www.pinkmartini.com




Oh ya, and I had a crepe with grand marnier and nutella the other day. Oh soooo good!


No comments: