Monday, July 28, 2008

Slugs, Raw Herring, and Bicycles

I am in Rotterdam now and staying put for a while. I have found an apartment and a job (though it is small right now) and most importantly a bicycle! Well, some call it a bicycle I call it the gazelle.
A bit of a summup is in order I suppose. I left off last time heading to Stavanger. Well, ended up staying there just under two weeks. The man Oyvind (typical norwegien name) lived there with his checkens and a French guy named Florent (Flo-raun) who was couchsurfing/trying to make a little extra money. Helped out for a time, but I think two weeks was a bit long, so I headed out, making my way down to Kristiansand where I was to take the ferry back to Denmark. It was a long, interesting journey accross the 250km. I hitchhiked the whole way with 7 different people. Everyone I met was just great and one time even stayed in the car a bit longer before getting out just talking with a guy. So interesting. People said it would be difficult to hitch in Norway, but I dont think I waited more than 15 minutes for a ride. I also camped along the way at night. There is so much nature it is amazing. I mean the country is huge with only 4 million people!! It was extremely easy to find places to camp. The bad part: it rains. a lot. and all I had was a coupole of plastic bags and a rain poncho. I devised a nice little canopy though with my homemade walking sticks and was relatively dry both nights it rained. The last night was brilliant though and I enjoyed myself despite the mosquitos. The second night was the best shelter I build as I was more experienced in the matter, but I woke up to find tons of slugs all over the place. On my bag, in my shoes. That is how I found out slug slime is not water soluble. It is disgusting yes, but didnt kill me and I washed most of it out later. Uh oh, 5 more mins of internet left.
Well, ok so I made it to the ferry at Kristiansand and was trying to figure out how I was going to get back to Holland cheaply. It was then that I met the Germans. A group of German church groupers were on their way back to Dusseldorf. I thoght it couldnt hurt to ask, so I did and they said, "sure, come along" So that is how I rode 10hours on a tour bus with 43 christian german kids. Nice people. Ended up taking a train from Dusseldorf to Rotterdam for 30 euros because I was just too tired and wanted to just get there.
So now I am here. Enjoying the raw herring and coffeeshops ;) Looking forward to settling in a place for a while and having an address!! Ah, gotta go, but will post more about my Rotterdam adventures...Doei, Doei

No comments: